Our Grassfed Beef
Our heritage breeds, mostly Irish Dexter, are well suited for a 100% grassfed diet because they have smaller frames to fill out and finish on grass. That means more marbling of fat and more omega-3s. Through rotational grazing and low stress handling techniques, we support the health of the cattle, the health of the land, and the health of our consumers.
Our animals are fed a 100% grass and forage diet, raised outdoors on pasture for their entire lives, and managed according to the animal welfare and environmental standards.
Our beef is available on farm Tues-Sat 10am-6pm or we offer free delivery to Berea and Somerset!
Grassfed beef is better for human health than grain-fed beef in ten different ways, according to a 2009 study by the USDA and researchers at Clemson University in South Carolina.
Compared with grain-fed beef, grass-fed beef is:
- Lower in total fat – two to three times lower
- Higher in beta-carotene
- Higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
- Higher in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin
- Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium
- Higher in total omega-3s
- A healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (1.65 vs 4.84)
- Higher in CLA (cis-9 trans-11), a potential cancer fighter
- Higher in vaccenic acid (which can be transformed into CLA)
- Lower in the saturated fats linked with heart disease